It was September of 2000 when I was at Costco and noticed the 5 lb of assorted candy bags. It was our first Halloween after getting married. I thought it was a great idea to buy the candy in advance, so we we'd be prepared. BIG MISTAKE! Before I knew it, I was eating one, two and three pieces of candy every day. I think I ended up gaining 5+ pounds that month. To top it off, I had to buy more candy to handout on Halloween night. So much for planning a month ahead!
I wised up the following year. I decided to purchase Halloween candy the week of Halloween. Now, my ritual is to buy Halloween candy the day of Halloween.
Here are my top 5 Halloween strategies:
1. Buy candy on Halloween day. Avoid the temptation of candy around the house. Hiding the candy doesn't count either. It just makes it more fun to climb up a chair to get more candy out of the hidden candy bag.
2. Buy your least favorite candy. Temptation to eat one candy and hand out one candy is diminished with this strategy. I LOVE Butterfingers. I can not bring those in the house.
3. Grocery shop and meal prep. The week of Halloween, it is critical to have healthy food in the house. Eat 3 meals a day to keep blood sugar stable and hunger at bey. Candy is not a meal replacement!
4. Eat LOTS of green veggies. Eat veggies to meet required nutrients for a healthy body. Veggies and other nutrient dense foods prevent sugar cravings; especially greens!
5. Drink water throughout the day. Thirst often masks itself as cravings. Our body does not know the difference between hunger and thirst. Be aware that thirst creates cravings!
So on Halloween day, I will be purchasing Halloween candy, starting my crockpot in the morning and mixing in my green smoothie!
I'd love to hear from you! What are some healthy strategies you've learned over the years?